Pelio - Holidays
The Library of Zagora was founded in 1762. Its main and effective contributors to the foundation are two great personalities of Zagora. The friendly and hospitable Ioannis Prigos (1725-1789) and Ecumenical Patriarch Kallinikos III (1713-1791).
Ioannis Prigos was immigrated from a young (about 16 years old) to learning and being educated. From Smyrna, Alexandria, Venice, he arrived in Amsterdam where a merchant riches. He spent all his fortune, taking care of the Orthodox community of Amsterdam, being deeply religious, but mainly for his native country of Zagora. The first 48 books arrived in two chests via Smyrna along with money, supervisory instruments, etc. for school and library operation reached Zagora in 1762, a year that was referred to as the year of founding the library.
At the same time, Patriarch Kallinikos III after a brief and abnormal patriarchy in the city and a four-year exile in Sinai, is back in his homeland and cares until his death for his all-powerful prosperity, and especially the spiritual.
He edited and rebuilt the school that had been in operation since the beginning of the 18th century (1712) in the district of Agios Georgios Zagora, in which he gave the name "Hellenomouseio". There were the books, which occasionally sent the Dutch prince (totaling about 1000 volumes), the books of Patriarch Kallinikos (35 manuscripts and 326 printed books) and the ones that were given by other names Zagorians who held high positions in Constantinople, Russia, the Danubian hegemony, and elsewhere.
At the beginning of the Revolution, the function of the School and the Library ceases. The Publications and the Manuscripts of the Library The books of the Library of Zagora are also worthy of attention for their relationship with one of the authors of our newest national history, the Rigas, but also the very ones. This is because many of the manuscripts contain unpublished, theological and historical matter of great interest, and many of them are printed with paraphernalia and white margins of their pages, too enlightening for the history of Zagora, but also for the Greek history of the 18th century in general.
But there are also few that have a value for the time and place of publication, for the reprinted printers from which they come for the wisdom of the publishers, for the artistic form of the volumes, whose exquisite art engravings and woodcuts that adorn them they love the stylish spectator. Many of the publications that host Zagora's library are the first type of console editions.
The Library from 1821 until today.
After the "Hellenonomousio" operation ceased, the library was housed and the books changed from time to time to various places, and many were lost. Today, and since 1950, it has been housed in a building owned by the Municipality of Zagora and since 1955 it has been under the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior. Education and Religious Affairs.
At the inauguration of the first building of today's library on January 30, 1961, the number of books and manuscripts donated amounted to 10,000. Today the library of Zagora contains more than 20,000 books and more than 1,000 old texts. Recently, the Municipality of Zagora also gave the remaining part of the building for the needs of the library. The renovation of the 600 square meters of the library's premises was completed some time ago and the inauguration of the new building will take place on 17 August by Deputy Minister of Interior Mr. Thanassis Nakos.
In the library that is lending, there is a reading room serving up to ten people. It is used by members and visitors who want to study evidence on the spot as well as documents that can not be borrowed, such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, magazines, folklore and antiquities dating back over 50 years. Those who want rare books are available in digital form. A new computer equipment and special equipment for people with disabilities (PDAs) were added to the library's Information Center at the beginning of March.